Foreword

Assalamu'alaikum. Welcome to this plain, mediocrely designed hut of mine. I love to write, and this is where I write. Things that I write, there might be mistakes in them. I seek refuge in Allah swt for me and you from the harm my writing may bring. Any good from it, may He swt reward me for that and spread the good to others. Any words that appear displeasing to you, don't take it to heart for I don't intend to hurt anyone in any way. Any advices I put forward, may Allah swt give me the taufiq to first act upon them, for they might testify against me in the hereafter. Jazakallah Khair.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Kampung Boy Learning English (1)

I was thinking of something to do; something educational that I enjoy doing, which I can also share with others. So I thought I would do a review on English grammar. Yep, I do like grammar! As much as I like having Nasi Lemak and Teh Tarik for breakfast back home. I figured that the best way of learning is teaching; as you practice what you know, you help your brain retain it better.

So, what topic should we do a review on? Let's see..okay, let's do a review on 'Types of Tenses'. One thing that distinguishes English grammar from Malay grammar is the critical use of tenses, as in past, present, and future tenses. Instead of just adding words that indicate a specific tense, in English, the verb itself has to be modified accordingly. A mistake in tenses can disrupt the intended meaning of a sentence.

Present Perfect Tense

eat >> have eaten
beat >> have beaten
fly >> have flown


1) Used for a repeated action to show how many times you have done the action (up to the present)

Ex: I have eaten three cups of megi.

Use 'since' or a 'since clause' to specify the time;

Ex. I have eaten three cups of megi since yesterday.

Note: Always use Simple Past for a 'since clause';

Ex. I have eaten three cups of megi since I arrived.


2) Used for a state/feeling that extends from a point in the past to the present

Ex. 1: I have liked her since I first saw her.

Ex. 2: I have been frustrated since I found out she's taken.

Note: For a repeated action that was definitely completed in the past (not connected to the present), simply use Simple Past, with an appropriate time phrase;

Ex. 1 I went to Teluk Intan three times last year.

Ex. 2 I saw her only a few times last winter.


Okay let's stop here for now. Next time, I'll pick up our review on Present Perfect Continuous Tense. I'm sorry if you find the above wording confusing, and I'd love to accept any comments, corrections, and constructive criticisms too since I myself am still learning. Questions are most welcomed. Until the next lesson, see ya. Assalamualaikum. ^^