Foreword

Assalamu'alaikum. Welcome to this plain, mediocrely designed hut of mine. I love to write, and this is where I write. Things that I write, there might be mistakes in them. I seek refuge in Allah swt for me and you from the harm my writing may bring. Any good from it, may He swt reward me for that and spread the good to others. Any words that appear displeasing to you, don't take it to heart for I don't intend to hurt anyone in any way. Any advices I put forward, may Allah swt give me the taufiq to first act upon them, for they might testify against me in the hereafter. Jazakallah Khair.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Kampung Boy Learning English (KauBoLEh) (2)

Present Perfect Tense contd.

The form of the verb we use for Present Perfect Tense is called the Past Participle (the third form of the verb);

Base Form >> Past Form >> Past Participle

work >> worked >> worked
write >> wrote >> written

So the following are a couple more examples on the usage of Present Perfect Tense to conclude the previous section;


3) Used to talk about an action that occurred in the past, which still has importance to a present situation

Ex. 1: I have received Adam’s letter.

Ex. 2: She hasn't made her decision yet.


4) Negative statements and questions with Present Perfect

Negative statement: He hasn't found a job yet.

Question: Why hasn't he found a job yet?

Now that we have covered the Present Perfect, we can proceed to the Present Perfect Continuous, which is slightly different in structure.


Present Perfect Continous (The Intro)

1) Used to talk about an action that started in the past and continues to the present

Ex. 1: I have been working at the same job since 2009.

Ex. 2: The company has been hiring foreign workers for many years.


2) Used to show that an action is still happening

Ex: He has been working for the past eight hours.


The tricky part is, with some verbs, we can use either the Present Perfect or the Present Perfect Continuous with very little difference in meaning

Ex. He has been working as a custodian for the past few years. OR
He has worked as a custodian for the past few years.


We do not use a continuous tense with nonaction verbs (like verbs that show feelings). You can ask Mr. Google for a list of nonaction verbs so you'll get a better picture of this.

Ex. I have known her for almost 3 years. (Not: have been knowing)


Okay, let's not cram in too much at once. Taking it easy helps you digest the material better. So far it's been quite easy and straightforward I guess, so keep the remaining gigabytes of your brain for later. I came up with the acronym 'KauBoLEh' so I don't have to keep typing out the long title, and it's kinda cool too. Ingenious kan? ^^