Foreword

Assalamu'alaikum. Welcome to this plain, mediocrely designed hut of mine. I love to write, and this is where I write. Things that I write, there might be mistakes in them. I seek refuge in Allah swt for me and you from the harm my writing may bring. Any good from it, may He swt reward me for that and spread the good to others. Any words that appear displeasing to you, don't take it to heart for I don't intend to hurt anyone in any way. Any advices I put forward, may Allah swt give me the taufiq to first act upon them, for they might testify against me in the hereafter. Jazakallah Khair.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

hamna

Just got back from Syracuse. Feeling rejuvenated after a little dose of afternoon nap just now. This time around Adem, a US-born Turkish, went with us to Syracuse. He just finished at University at Buffalo, and is applying to a medical school for his Master's. He should be back in college by next Fall. I'm very glad that two other Malaysians, Syafiq and Izani, were with us this time. Syafiq left with us from here to Syracuse on Friday, while Izani who is currently doing his co-op in Syracuse joined us when we got there. Alhamdulillah. We had a great time and a lot of fun I guess especially for the kids in our jama'ah.

That weekend was a busy and important weekend to the community. They had a barbeque the day after we came. I can say that everybody was present for the event and that we came on the right weekend after all. Imam was very welcoming, receptive, and supportive of us. One time when addressing all of us at the masjid, he mentioned that he was happy and impressed to see many youngsters in our jama'ah who are involved in da'wah. I think they've got a beautiful and strong community of Muslims there. The whole time the masjid was full with kids and they seemed to be very comfortable being in the masjid. The way they instill affection for the masjid in their kids is something we should follow everywhere else. Sadly, in many places, kids are somewhat restricted from the masjid, for the reason that they would cause distractions. Of course something needs to be done to cut down on the distractions, but restricting them from the masjid altogether is never a good idea to me. Believe me, if our your kids didn't get to love the masjid in their childhood, it's even tougher for them to love the masjid when they get older owing to the negative influences that lurk around in today's environment.

at lunchtime: some members of our jama'ah sitting with an American revert

During jaulah Br. Nasir, Br. Irfan, Adem and I visited a Turkish Cultural Center somewhere downtown of Syracuse city. It was the first time we went there. We found out about it from a brother at the masjid. Our coming was welcomed. Br. Nasir gave some da'wah to us all before we offered maghrib together with the local Turkish brothers. Adem was telling me the whole time how he would love to re-polish his unpolished Turkish, and right there and then he got the chance to speak Turkish. I could see the excitement on his face the whole time he was doing that. He said his Turkish was 7/10, but from what I heard he pretty much still had it in him. (Or it was just me not being able to distinguish between bad Turkish and good Turkish..haha).

Izany was not with us all the time. As for Syafiq, I believe he really enjoyed the time we spent over there, judging from his expressions. No one can describe that enjoyment we're getting in khuruj until they experience it themselves. I may describe what I feel from A to Z to a brother, but he won't grasp what I meant for him to know until he himself step into it; in da'wah, there's more to feel than to describe. And apparently Syafiq has got that first-hand experience for himself. He is a better brother than I am. I pray that Allah will accept his sacrifice and reveal the truth of this effort to him. He made an intention to come with us again next month insyaAllah. Unfortunately, next khuruj would very likely be my last khuruj here in the US..huhu. It's our weakness that we have not done much effort to leave behind a legacy of Malaysian students for this effort. May Allah forgive us.

the wrapper

Anyway, I didn't come back here empty-handed! Hehehe. Remember that "independent little lady" from "Souvenir from Syracuse"? I met her again this time. She barely recognized me, but that didn't stop her from being annoyed by me (in a sweet way..haha). She's grown up a lot since last time. I just love the way she carries herself around in the midst of the community members. You would find her to be quite an impressive talker. One time I was just sitting in  a corner when she came up to me bringing a chocolate. Her: "Do you like chocolate?" Me: "No..not really?" Her: "Do you want this chocolate?" Me: (shaking my head) Her: "Here, you take the wrapper." Me: (took the wrapper with a confused expression). Then she left. There sure was a lot of kids to pick on at the masjid, but she really stood out amongst them. Somewhat she reminds me a lot of my little brother future daughter..haha (okay, quit dreaming already!) Someone told me that I'm a big dreamer, and I'm afraid I can't totally deny that..hurrmm. And to top everything, I got her name this time; her name is HAMNA. =)

the wrapper giver 

P/s: I accidentally crushed the wrapper in my jubah's pocket. Err..would it be creepy for me to keep the wrapper? ^^"