Foreword

Assalamu'alaikum. Welcome to this plain, mediocrely designed hut of mine. I love to write, and this is where I write. Things that I write, there might be mistakes in them. I seek refuge in Allah swt for me and you from the harm my writing may bring. Any good from it, may He swt reward me for that and spread the good to others. Any words that appear displeasing to you, don't take it to heart for I don't intend to hurt anyone in any way. Any advices I put forward, may Allah swt give me the taufiq to first act upon them, for they might testify against me in the hereafter. Jazakallah Khair.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

not a bedtime story


I remember reading an article in USA Today about how people in the US are preparing for the doomsday, aka the apocalypse. In a way, I'm really impressed by how determined some of them to prepare for the destruction to come, despite their confused understanding of what the doomsday really is. The kinds of preparation made include building up so-called anti-apocalypse underground bunkers for protection, storing up food supplies in one place in the hope to kind of "outlast" the catastrophic period, and brushing up on basic survival skills to increase chances of surviving. As much worry has this issue sparked in some of the groups, there are also others who just couldn't care less about it. I don't know exactly what they have in mind for being so "calm." Either they have given up altogether, realizing there's nothing significant they could do against it, or they have taken up the idea that we should enjoy the remaining bits of our life and forget about the negative thoughts. As great an effort they are making to preserve their survival on the face of the Earth, these people are missing the critical point that even the Earth won't survive the doomsday. In essence, the doomsday does not begin when the Earth is broken in half, or when the world's natural resources are completely depleted, or when the tyrant rulers wiped out an entire nation. Step back a little: Our very own doomsday begins when we die.

As for us Muslims, we believe that it's not the doomsday that we're preparing for, but it's actually what will happen afterwards that we should be concerned about. Perhaps one thing that we share in common with the non-Muslims is the belief that the last day will surely come and we've got to prepare for it somehow. But for us Muslims this 'somehow' has been clearly interpreted and clarified. How fortunate we are, not only have we been foretold about the imminent and inevitable coming of this day, but we've also been taught how exactly we should prepare for it in detail. Look around you at those non-Muslims. They are great people who live by high moral standards. They are very receptive, helpful, and friendly. Look how good their manners and characters are. How many humanitarian missions are led by the non-Muslims? Countless. They believe that as long as they utilize their life doing good, they'll end up good. But this is where Iman comes into play; A non-believer may give a mountain of gold in charity but will not receive anything in reward. But a believer may give a small date in charity and may receive a mountain of reward. Sometimes, when I think of it, it makes me feel very grateful for being a Muslim..and at the same time I feel sorry for them for being deprived of the truth. Those who live among the non-Muslims, you should be able to relate to this. Don't we feel sorry for them? So who will reach out to them and tell them the truth?

P/s: A white American accepted Islam at ICR just recently, and this brother's been coming to the masjid every single day to learn. Every time I peek a glance at him, I can see a noor of contentment on his face; the contentment of finally knowing the truth. =)