Foreword

Assalamu'alaikum. Welcome to this plain, mediocrely designed hut of mine. I love to write, and this is where I write. Things that I write, there might be mistakes in them. I seek refuge in Allah swt for me and you from the harm my writing may bring. Any good from it, may He swt reward me for that and spread the good to others. Any words that appear displeasing to you, don't take it to heart for I don't intend to hurt anyone in any way. Any advices I put forward, may Allah swt give me the taufiq to first act upon them, for they might testify against me in the hereafter. Jazakallah Khair.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

KauBoLEh (5)

Actually I think this is supposed to be later in order, because I think, this is the toughest one of all. But I was afraid that I wouldn't have much time to get here. So..just in case.

Conditionals - Untrue Events

Conditionals are used when talking about things that are impossible to happen to someone/something. We use 'If clause' to establish an untrue condition, and then add a secondary clause to it. When the 'If clause' precedes the secondary clause, we use a 'comma' to separate the sentences. A comma is not needed when the secondary clause precedes the 'If clause'. Try to identify and distinguish the two clauses from the following;


Present-Present:

If I were you, I would go and tell her the truth. (In reality, I am not you)

I would be the happiest man if I had a Mitsubishi Lancer. (In reality, I don't have a Lancer)

If I had a private jet, I would be leaving for Malaysia by now.

Note: Insert 'not' accordingly to form a negative sentence.


Present-Past:

If I knew the guy, I would have recognized him.

If I had a car, I would not have gone there on foot.

If you were not my brother, I wouldn't have troubled myself to come.

Note: For the 'If clause' use Simple Past to refer to the present, and use Past Perfect to refer to the past. For the secondary clause, use 'would+be' form to refer to the present, and use 'would+have been' form to refer to the past.


Past-Present:

If she had told her parents, I would be really embarrassed right now. (She did not tell her parents)

If it wasn't/hadn't been for her, I would still be nobody.

If I'd had the guts to tell her what I feel, she would still be here by now.

Note: I'd = 'I had' OR 'I would' depending on the context.


Past-Past:

If I had waited a little longer, I wouldn't have missed the chance to meet Sara Ali in person. (I did not wait)

Woudn't it have been better if I hadn't gotten the way of their relationship? (question form)

The marriage would've been sweeter for the couple if they had not been dating. (they were dating before marriage)


Wish clause:

For wish clauses, we use 'I/he/she/they wish' in the first clause, and in the next clause, use Simple Past to refer to the present, and Past Perfect to refer to the past.


I wish I could read her mind so I could tell if she has the same feelings.

I wish I could go to a distant planet and get her flowers from there.

I wish I had spoken to her when I had the chance.


Special Note: As Muslims we should be carefull in using the conditionals. It comes in a hadith, more or less the meaning, "The word 'if' opens the doors for syaitan to work." For example, we should not say "If I had taken a cab I would have made it in time to office." or "If I had stayed up all night I would have passed the test." These kinds of sayings, without us realizing, could damage our iman as in Islam it's part of our faith to believe that something that had befallen us could not have missed us, and something that had missed us could not have befallen us. InsyaAllah we'll try to be careful with what we say in the future. ^^

P/s: This is the most simplistic way I could come up with, the way I have understood it, I'm sorry if you still find it confusing. I couldn't do much editting either since both my desktop and laptop computers have been packed into the container to be shipped to Malaysia. Yes, I did all this with my tab computer. *Penat ketuk2*