Foreword

Assalamu'alaikum. Welcome to this plain, mediocrely designed hut of mine. I love to write, and this is where I write. Things that I write, there might be mistakes in them. I seek refuge in Allah swt for me and you from the harm my writing may bring. Any good from it, may He swt reward me for that and spread the good to others. Any words that appear displeasing to you, don't take it to heart for I don't intend to hurt anyone in any way. Any advices I put forward, may Allah swt give me the taufiq to first act upon them, for they might testify against me in the hereafter. Jazakallah Khair.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

GE

Assalamu'alaikum!

Hey..it's been a while since I last racked my brain trying to find things to write. Judging by the rate I was going at, a one-week hiatus is pretty long I guess. Well, I've been racking my brain all right..but through a different channel? I'm taking this one lab people always think twice to take: Genetic Engineering (GE). No idea? Well..I'm not sure about it myself but..from a very2 simplified point of view, I can say that GE centers on the recombinant DNA technology, in which you manipulate physical features of DNA to...do things. Lets see..so far..it's not bad at all. In fact, I'm kinda enjoying it. Unless I'm getting the wrong first impressions, I think I'll pull through and stay breathing by the end of the quarter. Well of course this GE thing is keeping my hands and brain busy, so much so that there's only a tiny little room left in the academic portion of my brain for other subjects. It's always GE all week long. I feel like I've done the workload for one quarter in just one week of school..huhu. Great. I can hardly find the time to write a post nowadays. Last Thursday I had to camp out in the lab for almost 7 hours (with the other poor Malaysian peeps), from 2 pm all the way to 9 pm. Unlike with some other typical biology labs where messing up is not a the-end-of-the-world issue..almost all the experiments in GE are tagged with irremovable "do it until you get it right" labels. So if you mess up you'll have to do it over and over. Once during a lab session I talked to Dr. Rothman;

Me: "...to me taking this lab is like taking 3 labs at once."
Dr. Rothman: "Well, to me teaching this lab is like teaching 3 labs at once."
Me: "Haha..yeah."
Dr. Rothman: "But..what you learn in this lab is equivalent to what you learn in 3 labs."
Me: "...Exactly!"


I warn you..Dr. Rothman can be hilarious at times..that's what I like about him, he makes being in the lab more comfortable and casual on us.

Dr. Rothman was right. Lots of things from different labs I took that never made sense before are starting to fall into place now. The things I learned from GE have shed light on the mind-bugling puzzles I bumped into in the past. The skills I felt kinda tricky to master before are becoming all in a day's work now. Well..I know this course has a lot more to offer..and I hope I can get the most out of it, insyaallah.

P/S: GE rocks..mari ambik GE..=)